Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We still have a ways to go

Last night I saw a historic event, one I was not sure I would see in my life time. Granted it was only a matter of time before someone who looked black would be elected to the White House, but it is nice that it happened at the start of the 21th century rather then the middle.

People are now calling this a new age for the country. A new age for the middle class, for minorities. But looking across the nation at some state initiatives I say we still have a ways to go.

In Arizona and Florida gay marriages were banned with California not being called yet but the yeses are leading this morning. Even as the greatest achievement of the civil rights movement has happened, some of us are still denying rights to a group we don't agree with.

So do celebrate, but remember there is still work to do.

No comments: